„Once upon a time there was a world where writing was unknown. A world different to ours, but nevertheless still human. Everything changed once writing was invented. But, maybe the writing was only revealed to humans and not invented by them. It is sure that, for thousands of years, writing was the secret recipe of spiritual texts, guarded by royalty or the keepers of sacred knowledge. Beyond its content, writing has an exterior, a visual feature. Transposing or “packaging” the idea into text implies an infinite variety of shapes and materials. In this way the writing and the book become an art object. A book is more than the content it holds; its physical structure, and visual impact are also part of it. In some oriental traditions, calligraphy was considered a spiritual pathway.
But what is happening writing today? With the book? Is there still any connection with the primary sense? Does writing have any connection with the human essence nowadays?”
The exhibition of the 2nd European International Book Art Biennale will take place
in August 2012 at ART MUSEUM SATU- MARE, Romania
2013 New York, USA
2013 Krakaw, Poland
Organisers of the festival:D. Fleiss & East West Artists e. V. Stuttgart,
Museum of Art Satu- Mare,D. Fleiss & East West Artists e. V. Carei, Romania
Author and Curator of the 2nd European International BOOK ART BIENNALE:
1.Any book artist from any country can take part in the competition.
2. Up to four artist’s books can be submitted by one author/artist or a team.The books should be completed within last two years (2010- 2012) in any technique and belong to the author/artist, art gallery or press.
3. As for the texts not written by the artist we ask to obey the general rules of copyright. The name of a writer (and a translator), the title (and the original title), name of a publisher and year of publishing should be given.
4. The works should be send no later than June 15, 2012 to:
Muzeul de Arta Satu- Mare
European International Book Art Biennale
Piata Libertatii Nr. 21
440014 Satu- Mare
5.There are no limitations regarding technique and form, however in case of very complex and unusual works due to material, size or construction the artist is kindly requested to contact the organisers.A submitted work may not be accepted for the following reasons:
Technical difficulties involved exhibiting it.
It may be considered to have possible harmful effects on the audience.
6. The international jury selected by the organisers will review the submissions and choose the works for the EIBAB EHIBITION. The exact date and place is to be determined.
The jury will judge the works and select those ones to be awarded and shown at the exhibition. Decisions of the jury can not be appealed.
7. The prizes will be awarded by the Jury.
8. The costs of sending/ shipping the books are on the artist.
Please write the value for the customs max. 30 EUR / 30 USD or the text
NOT FOR SALE! NOT COMMERCIALE VALUE!
The organisers are not responsible of any damages caused by the conditions of transportation or careless packing by the artist.
The books should have labels with artist’s name, title and notice “European Book Art Biennale”.
9. ENTRY FEES: 50 EURO
Bank transfers should be made till 15th June 2012
dorothea fleiss & east west artists Association Carei
Banc: BANCA BCR- CareiIBAN (International Bank Account Number): RO17RNC80222108088590001
SIFT/BIC (Bank Identification Code) RNCBROBU 300311016 BCR
Subject should be: EIBAB 2012
Or by Western Union to Kamila Bednarska (Name)
The entry fee is non-refundable.
10.The books chosen to be shown at the Biennale will be shown at various exhibitions in Hungary, Poland, USA etc.
The participants agree that images of their works may be used for the promotion of the European International Book Art Biennale
Pictures of works and any other documents attached to the entry form will be kept in the competition archives and not returned to the artist.
Artists may choose to donate their work itself to the Biennale Collection.
If they wish to have their work returned, artists are responsible for covering the cost of return shipping themselves.
12. The organiser publishes and sends a catalogue to all the contributing artists.
For any questions please contact: